Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cheesecake Factory Avocado Egg Rolls


Submitted by: Marci Numbers

1 large avocado
2 T chopped sun-dried tomatoes (bottled in oil)
1 T minced red onion
½ tsp chopped fresh cilantro (I usually add more)
Pinch of salt
3 egg roll wrappers
Vegetable oil for frying

Dice avocados. In a small bowl, gently combine the avocado with tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and salt. Don’t smash avocado.
Put mixture in to egg roll and fry in oil

DIPPING SAUCE

¼ C chopped cashew
2/3 C chopped fresh cilantro
2 cloves garlic, quartered
2 green onions, chopped
1 T sugar
1 tsp black pepper (I don’t use this much)
1 tsp cumin
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
½ tsp tamarind pulp (I got this from my neighbor who is Hispanic – I’ve never seen it at the store – if you can’t find it, you can leave it out and it still tastes OK)
½ C honey (I only use ¼ C)
Pinch ground saffron (I usually leave this out because I don’t have it )
¼ C olive oil

Combine first 7 ingredients in food processor-until garlic have been chopped into pieces about half the size of a grain of rice. Combine the vinegar, honey, tamarind, and saffron in a small bowl. Heat mixture for about 1 minute in microwave then stir until tamarind pulp dissolves completely. Pour mixture into food processor and mix with cashew mixture about 20 seconds. Pour sauce into bowl. Ad the iol and stir by hand. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.

* I double the egg roll recipe and can get 8-10 egg rolls. There is no need to double the sauce recipe

No comments: